Coaches play a unique role in Special Olympics, working hands-on with athletes to provide the sports skills and spirit they need to compete. A coach can be a teacher, family member, or someone simply who wants to change others’ lives and their own. Below, you can find forms, information, and training you may need as a coach during your sport season.
Request a Training School
- General Coaches Certification – Watch the video and take the quiz to become a certified coach for SOWI.
- General Guide for Coaches – Use this handout to learn about the basics of coaching for SOWI.
- Athlete Behavior Characteristics and Quick Reference Guide – Use these short handouts to learn about different athlete abilities/characteristics and how to improve strategy and performance.
- Athlete Profile Form – Use this worksheet to track an athlete’s behaviors and the best strategies to teach and work with that athlete.
- Training Site Safety Checklist – Use this general safety checklist at practices to promote a safe and injury-free environment.
- Uniform Requirements at a Glance – For more detailed information on sport-specific uniform requirements, refer to each sport’s rules page.
- Divisioning – View this educational video for a quick peak into the process of divisioning.
- Competition Guide – Access the 2017-2018 competition guide, which includes all important dates (registration deadlines, medical deadlines, tournament dates, and scratch deadlines).
- SOI Sports Rules – View and download PDFs of sports rules changes made this year for each sport.
“In the name of all coaches, we shall follow written and verbal instructions of Special Olympics officials at all times, have our athletes at the appropriate events and activities at the proper time and abide by the rules and policies, in the spirit of sportsmanship.”
– Special Olympics Coach Oath