Class A Volunteer Application and Renewal Process
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) and wanting to make a difference in the lives of the nearly 10,000 athletes our program serves! By completing this volunteer application process and becoming a Class A Volunteer, you will assist SOWI in providing a safe and quality environment for Special Olympics athletes to train and compete.
These steps are to be completed only by individuals who are classified as Class A volunteers.
To Become a Class A Volunteer or Renew Your Class A Status (for individuals 18 or older):
- Complete the online Protective Behaviors training and test
- If you are a returning volunteer, please log into your Special Olympics Learning Portal account, and select “Re-certify” under the Protective Behaviors course.
- If you encounter issues with the Protective Behaviors training and test, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit the Class A Volunteer Application online. Please ensure you have the following information to complete the form:
- Date of Protective Behaviors test completion.
- Agency Number/Young Athletes Number/UCS Number; it should be in the form of #-## (ex. 6-12). You MUST include an accurate Agency Number for your application to be processed; if you have not yet connected with an Agency or are unsure of your Agency Number please contact your local Athletic Director.
- Copy of photo identification (driver’s license, passport, school ID, or state issued ID; driver’s license must be provided if you will be driving in your volunteer capacity).
- If your ID is not uploading, please e-mail a copy to email@example.com
- If you have any questions with the application, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete an order for a background check through Sterling Volunteers
- If you encounter issues with the background check process, please contact Sterling Volunteers at 855-326-1860, Option 3 or TheAdvocates@sterlingvolunteers.com.
- SOWI COVID-19 waiver forms
ALL STEPS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR A VOLUNTEER APPLICATION TO BE PROCESSED.
Please allow up to two weeks for processing of volunteer applications. If you have any questions regarding your status after completing all steps of the application/renewal process, please contact email@example.com.
For assistance in completing the steps to become a Class A Volunteer, please refer to the How-To Guide below:
Class A Volunteer Registration How-To Guide
To Become a Class A Minor Volunteer (for individuals younger than 18):
- Complete the online Protective Behaviors training and test (for volunteers 16 and older)
- Complete and submit via mail or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Class A Minor Form. Completed form must be mailed to: Special Olympics Wisconsin, Attn: Class A Form, 2310 Crossroads Drive, Suite 1000, Madison, WI 53718