Dear Prospective Volunteer,
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) and wanting to make a difference in the lives of the nearly 10,000 athletes our program serves! SOWI is a nonprofit organization which provides year-round sports training and competition in 18 sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
Volunteers are the driving force behind the success of SOWI. Whether you coach athletes, conduct competitions, organize Agencies, raise funds or serve on a committee, it’s the team effort of volunteers like you that make Special Olympics Wisconsin a strong organization. By completing this online volunteer registration form, you will assist SOWI in providing a safe and quality environment for Special Olympics athletes to train and compete.
VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION PROCESS
- Determine if you are completing the correct form per the criteria listed below. This form is to be completed only by individuals who are adults (age 18 and over) and who are classified as Class A volunteers as listed below. Minor Class A volunteers are required to complete a separate minor registration form. Day-of-event volunteers are to fill out a Class B Volunteer Individual Registration for the event they are working. This form is for:
- Volunteers who have regular, close physical contact with athletes
- Volunteers in a position of authority or supervision with athletes
- Volunteers in a position of trust of athletes
- Volunteers who have an above average level of authority or involvement with SOWI
- Volunteers who handle cash or other assets of SOWI in amounts equal to or greater than $15,000
- BEFORE filling out this form please make sure you have the below items ready:
- Middle Initial
- Social Security Number
- Completion of Protective Behaviors Training
- Agency Number, Young Athlete Number OR Unified Champion School Number (do not need all 3)
- Photo Identification
- The required fields MUST be completed! Your form will not be processed if any of the required fields are left blank:
- The online Protective Behaviors Training can be completed at this link: http://resources.specialolympics.org/protective_behaviors_training.aspx This must be completed to become a Class A Volunteer and you must retake it every three years.
- If you are going to be an Agency volunteer and you do not know your Agency number, contact your Regional Athletic Director.
- Please provide a copy of photo identification. (Driver’s license, passport, or state issued ID)
- Read all agreement and release information carefully and sign and date the form.
- SOWI will review your registration form and, if all information is completed correctly, will begin the screening process which includes conducting a criminal background check using our SOI approved screening vendor. Results of the background check will remain confidential. You will be automatically re-screened every three years upon re-taking of the Protective Behaviors Training.
- When you are approved, SOWI will mail you a letter of approval and a volunteer registration card.
*I have read the above volunteer registration process and am ready to register as a Class A Volunteer.