Competition provides a natural opportunity to develop positive and active strategies for maintaining emotional wellness under stress such as: thinking positive thoughts, releasing stress and connecting with others. Strong Minds helps athletes strengthen their coping skills across all facets of their life.
Athletes move through 5 stations on the following topics:
- Increase awareness about active coping strategies
- Identify strategies to use in competitions and daily living
- Provide resources for athletes, coaches and caregivers
- Promote positive conversations about stress, coping and emotional wellness
Screenings found that a large percentage of athletes face significant stress on a daily basis, but have access to only a few positive and active coping strategies.
- 12% have no coping strategies in place
- 62% use avoidant strategies which is associated with increased depression
- 26% use active strategies to feel better which promotes well-being
Amy Yonker, M.S, LPC
Volunteer Opportunities & Contact
For more information or to volunteer at a Strong Minds event, please contact Senior Director of Health Programs Brittany Hoegh.