Competition provides a natural opportunity to develop positive and active strategies for maintaining emotional wellness under stress such as: thinking positive thoughts, releasing stress and connecting with others. Strong Minds helps athletes strengthen their coping skills across all facets of their life.
Athletes move through 5 stations on the topics of:
- Increase awareness about active coping strategies
- Identify strategies to use in competitions and daily living
- Provide resources for athletes, coaches and caregivers
- Promote positive conversations about stress, coping and emotional wellness
Screenings found that a large percentage of athletes face significant stress on a daily basis, but have access to only a few positive and active coping strategies.
- 12% have no coping strategies in place
- 62% use avoidant strategies which is associated with increased depression
- 26% use active strategies to feel better which promotes well-being
Strong Minds will be launching at Summer Games 2019.
Please email Melissa Schoenbrodt
Amy Yonker, M.S, LPC
For more information on Strong Minds, please contact Melissa Schoenbrodt, Director of Health Programs.