SOWI has adopted a four (4) phased approach to return to activities. As of August 1, 2020, we are in Phase 1 – Small Group Activities:
- Shelter in place is lifted; restriction on size of mass gatherings (10 people)
- Activities may resume if they adhere to strict physical distancing and sanitation protocols
- No direct or indirect contact (e.g. through a ball in the hand) should take place
- Training activities may include only be pre-approved SOWI COVID-19 sports
Bocce is a SOWI COVID-19 approved sport for Phase 1 and 2. For more information, visit our Return to Play page.
2020 Bocce Season
- Athletes can play singles or doubles game against other athletes in their agency at a practice. This competition can be done in Phase 1 or 2.
- Each athlete will complete a BOSAT (Bocce Skills Assessment Test) to be used as a qualifying score (see Bocce Rules for more information on BOSAT). That score would be included with their agency registration due on September 14, 2020. Each athlete will then complete the BOSAT one more time and submit their final score as part of their agency’s results submission by September 26. This competition can be done in Phase 1 or 2.
- Agencies will be paired with another local agency to compete in intra-agency scrimmages. The agency will be selected based on geography and skill level. Both agencies will have to be in Phase 2 for this competition.
Virtual Competition – Individual Skills Competition
- BOSAT Skills Assessment
- See Bocce Rules for more information on BOSAT. This is an option for those athletes who do not feel comfortable attending practice or scrimmages but would still compete in bocce.
- Athletes may use any equipment they have around the house if they do not have official equipment.
- Such as tennis ball, softball, baseball, ping-pong ball, dog toy ball, even fruit/food, etc.
- Use your judgement and remember to be careful when participating.
- Complete the BOSAT Skills Assessment as you normally would with the equipment you have at your house.
- All athletes that participate in Virtual Competition must submit their scores and complete the SOWI Waiver for Online Activities. Athletes will receive a participation award and recognition during the Fall Outdoor Virtual Celebration, October 14-15, 2020.
Bocce Rules & Training Plan
- September 29, 6:00pm – 6:30pm, Bocce Virtual Awards Ceremony
- October 14-15, 4:00pm – 8:00pm, Fall Outdoor Virtual Celebration