Special Olympics Wisconsin is dedicated to protecting the health and safety of our athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials, staff, and all that contribute to the success of our athletes in training and events. We have implemented a Return to Play plan in accordance with Wisconsin Department of Health Services data to determine phasing of practices and in-person competition.
SOWI is currently in Phase 1 – Small Group Activities. Bowling is a SOWI COVID-19 approved sport for Phase 1 and 2. For more information, visit our Return to Play page.
2020 Bowling Season
- Athletes will compete in Modified League Play at practice. Athletes must register through their local agency by October 11, 2020 and do not need to submit qualifying scores with registration.
- Athletes must submit 14 bowling scores during the 9 week period from October 19 through December 20. The first 2 scores will be used to set a bowler’s starting handicap and will not count toward the final score. The remaining 12 games will count toward the final league score.
- The Special Olympics rolling handicap is based on 100% of the difference of the bowler’s average and 200, and will be updated every 2 games to include previous scores.
- Bowlers will be divisioned against athletes across the state based on performance during the first half of league play.
- Awards will be announced during the Bowling Virtual Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 6pm.
Virtual Competition – Individual Skills Competition
- The Ten Pin Challenge is a bowling fitness challenge based on personal improvement. It is open to all SOWI athletes.
- Athletes will record preliminary scores in all 10 exercises, spend 1-6 weeks practicing the exercises, then complete all 10 exercises again to record final scores. Ten Pin Challenge Worksheet.
- Athletes will submit their scores individually.
- All athletes that participate in the Virtual Competition must submit their scores and complete the SOWI Waiver for Online Activities. Athletes will receive a participation award and recognition during the Fall Indoor Virtual Celebration.
Bowling Rules & Training Plan
Bowling Instructional Videos