Special Olympics Wisconsin college programs connect college students and individuals with intellectual disabilities through shared events and experiences. Together, college students and Special Olympics athletes can work together to build unified colleges. SO College is created by college students for college students, making it a student lead strategy. Like Unified Champion schools, there are three components used to implement this strategy, Inclusive Leadership, Unified Sports, and Whole Campus Engagement.
Inclusive Sports: Students can create inclusive sports teams that unify college students and Special Olympics Athletes to participate together sporting events.
- Unified Intramural sports
- Sports Days
- NCAA Division III Unified Competition
- Coach/volunteer for Special Olympics Wisconsin
Youth Leadership & Advocacy: Functioning as a student-led Unified Club, SO College can meet regularly to plan events and generate ideas for promoting the mission of Special Olympics and SO College. This type of club works best when students invite Special Olympics Athletes to become members and have leadership teams with individuals with and without intellectual disabilities.
- Club activities
- Pumpkin patches
- Ice Skating
- DIY night
- Join a Games Management Team through Special Olympics WI in your region
- Leadership Team for your club
Whole Campus Engagement: Opportunities provided to allow the entire campus the ability to participate in school wide educational activities, creating a social inclusive environment.
- Spread the Word Inclusion
- Polar Plunge
- Fans in the Stands
- Run with the Cops
- Fill out this interest form and staff from Special Olympics Wisconsin will reach out to set up a meeting
- Talk to campus Engagement about starting a new club on campus
- Fill out the SO College Application