Special Olympics Wisconsin is dedicated to protecting the health and safety of our athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials, staff, and all that contribute to the success of our athletes in training and events. Below are protocol and accompanying materials for guidance on Returning to Play during the COVID-19 crisis. We are aware not all athletes and local programs will be ready to return to training/play at the same time, but it is our goal to provide the necessary resources for when they are.
SOWI Return to Play: Phasing according to Wisconsin Department of Health Services Data
We are now referencing the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (WDHS) data for COVID-19 Disease Activity to determine phasing changes for SOWI practices and in-person competition. Using this data will provide clear benchmarks. Trajectory information is also provided for agencies to use to make their own determination prior to reaching a benchmark. These metrics are updated weekly on Wednesday afternoons and can be found on the WDHS website.
SOWI has decided to utilize Burden as a metric to determine the maximum phase allowed as well as the highest level of competition that can be safely offered. Burden is the total number of COVID-19 cases per 100K Wisconsin residents in the last 2 weeks. WDHS has created Burden Status levels. Wisconsin has seen numerous counties well above the maximum status level so SOWI created an additional Burden Status level (Extremely High) as a stopping point for in-person practices, which is double the highest WDHS Burden Level.
Below are the maximum participation levels for agencies, based on the Burden Status of the county where that agency is located:
The SOWI staff will be meeting weekly to monitor the changes in numbers. Athletic Directors will contact agencies whose status has changed based on the Burden Status benchmark. They will also contact agencies who are close to the benchmark and the trajectory is indicating that they will cross the benchmark soon to make recommendations.
Please email covid@SpecialOlympicsWisconsin.org if you have any questions.
SOWI COVID-19 approved sports for Phase 1 and 2
Questions about future sports offerings? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.Return to Play Protocol Return to Play FAQ
Return to Play Forms
- Where to buy COVID-19 Supplies
- Training in a Safe Environment
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
- How to Properly Wear a Face Mask
- Mask/Face Covering Wearing Guide
- Handwashing Poster, Video
- Return to Play Field Signs
- COVID-19 Participant Release form
- Preparing the Venue
- Travel to Activity and Onsite Screening
- Examples of Coaching Adjustments
Resources by Sport/Activity
- 2020 Fall Indoor Sports Calendar
- Fall Indoor Sports Season
- Return to Play Coaches Meetings: 7/30/2020, 8/20/2020, 9/3/2020, 9/17/2020, 10/1/2020, 10/22/2020
- What Now – COVID-19 Positive Test
- Phase Petition Process
- Phasing Request Form
- NFHS COVID-19 Training Course
- Checklist for Coaches
- Virtual Training Calendar & Drills
- Bocce: Drill 1, Drill 2, Drill 3, Drill 4, Drill 5, Drill 6
- Punt, Pass, Kick: Drill 1, Drill 2, Drill 3, Drill 4, Drill 5, Drill 6, Bonus Drill
- Golf: Drill 1, Drill 2, Drill 3, Drill 4, Drill 5, Drill 6
- Bowling: Drill 1, Drill 2, Drill 3, Drill 4, Drill 5, Drill 6
- Volleyball Skills: Drill 1, Drill 2, Drill 3, Drill 4, Drill 5, Drill 6