Special Olympics Wisconsin provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in 18 Olympic-type sports for individuals with intellectual disabilities 8 years of age or older. Athletes train in their sport, compete at an area level and may progress to the state level of competition.
SOWI has adopted a four (4) phased approach to return to activities. As of August 1, 2020, we are in Phase 1 – Small Group Activities:
- Shelter in place is lifted; restriction on size of mass gatherings (10 people)
- Activities may resume if they adhere to strict physical distancing and sanitation protocols
- No direct or indirect contact (e.g. through a ball in the hand) should take place
- Training activities may include only be pre-approved SOWI COVID-19 sports
SOWI COVID-19 approved sports for Phase 1 and 2
- Fall Outdoor (Aug – Oct): Bocce, Punt/Pass/Kick, Golf, Cornhole, SOfit
- Fall Indoor (Oct – Dec): Bowling, Volleyball skills, Rings, SOfit
There are five sports seasons for Special Olympics Wisconsin. Choose from a season below for competition forms, rules and sporting events.
An updated list of our fall competitions dates and sport opportunities can be found here: 2020 Fall Sports Calendar.