Special Olympics Swimming offers divisions according to athlete ability, age and gender. Individual events are offered for all strokes. Special Olympics offers walking and flotation events for athletes of lower ability at district competitions.
2021 Competition Options
Athletes can compete in both in-practice and in-person competitions!
Athletes that are not comfortable traveling to a district competition will have the opportunity to race during practice and submit scores to compete virtually against athletes across the state. Athletes will be divisioned against other competing athletes. Qualifying scores are due to SOWI on the same registration deadline as your district competition. All final scores are due June 6th.
In-Person District Competition
SOWI will implement a new meet structure and safety protocols for this year only to ensure the health and safety of all event attendees.
- Each meet will be split into shifts based on agency, not division. Shift schedules will be announced after the registration deadline and before the event.
- Athletes will be divisioned based on qualifying scores.
- Athletes will be assigned heats based on shift and agency.
- Athletes will not race against competitors in the same division, necessarily; however, they will still be awarded based on division.
- Each athlete will be provided with a bag to hold his/her mask while competing. Athletes must wear masks to the starting blocks. There will be a bin at each lane to put the bag in while the athlete is racing.
Athletes will advance to a single-day state competition via quota. The state meet will implement all of the safety protocol as listed for the district competitions. There will be limited non-competition activities at the state swim meet and all awards will be given in a Virtual Awards Ceremony on the following Tuesday.
- 25, 50, 100, 200 Meter Freestyle
- 25, 50, 100 Meter Backstroke
- 25, 50 Meter Breaststroke
- 25, 50 Meter Butterfly
- 15 Meter Unassisted Swim, 15 Meter Assisted Swim, 15 Meter Kickboard (non-advancing events)
Rules & Forms
- Swimming Rules
- In-Practice Swimming Registration
- In-Person District Swimming Registration
- State Swimming Registration
- Participation during COVID-19 Waivers (Required)
Medical Deadline: April 15
In-Practice Competition: Qualifying scores are due to SOWI on the same registration deadline as your district competition. All final scores are due June 6th.
In-Person (District) Competition:
|DIRECTOR||REGIONS ASSIGNED||EVENT ENTRY DATE||LOCATION||EVENT DATE||VIRTUAL AWARDS DATE|
|Michaela Harrison||2, 3, 4, 5||May 19||Stevens Point||June 5||TBD|
|Nicole Christensen||6, 7 (Rock, Walworth, Jefferson)||May 19||Oconomowoc||June 6||June 8|
|Amber Weinfurter||7 (Racine, Kenosha Co.), 8||May 26||Oconomowoc||June 12||June 15|
|DIRECTOR||ENTRY DEADLINE||LOCATION||SITE||SCRATCH DEADLINE*||EVENT DATE||VIRTUAL AWARDS DATE|
|Jason Blank||June 14||Kenosha||Carthage College||June 18||