Introducing the new Special Olympics Fitness Competition! This new initiative provides athletes and Unified partners with a fun new opportunity to compete in different fitness exercises and measure overall performance levels. Competition can be offered among individual athletes, traditional teams, or Unified teams.
About the Competition
The Fitness Competition can be held virtually/at-home or at in-person practices (if your county is cleared for in-person activities). Athletes can participate in the Fitness Competition while also participating in other sports, including Basketball Skills.
The Fitness Competition Playbook has all the details of the competition including scoring, divisioning, levels offered, and a breakdown of each exercise. There will be multiple options of participation:
- Unified Pair
- Traditional Pair
- Unified 4-Person Team
- Traditional 4-Person Team
There will be 3 different ability levels. Each level will consist of four exercises. Each exercise has specific instructions and videos on how to perform the exercise and how to score it. All exercises can be done without equipment and in a small space. Each participant will have a pre-season score, mid-season score used to division, and an end-of-season score to award. Raw scores (reps or time) will be converted to a point system. Divisioning and awards will be based on % improvement.
- Pre-season scores
- Collected February 1-7 (due by 11:59pm on Sunday, February 7)
- Mid-season scores
- Collected March 1-7 (due by 11:59pm on Sunday, March 7)
- End-of-season scores
- Collected April 5-11 (due by 11:59pm on Sunday, April 11)
- Fitness Competition Coaches Training PowerPoint
- The Fitness Competition Practice Plan is an optional resource for coaches to use to help with their practices.
- If you have questions about the Fitness Competition, please contact Brittany Hoegh at email@example.com or (608) 442-5683.
Fitness Competition Recordings
(Click the top-right corner in the video below to view different recordings)