Join us this summer for the Special Olympics Fitness Competition! This 8-week program provides athletes and Unified partners with a fun new opportunity to compete in different fitness exercises and measure overall performance levels. Competition can be offered among individual athletes, traditional teams, or Unified teams.
About the Competition
This summer’s Fitness Competition runs from June 7-August 1 and it can be held virtually/at-home or through in-person practices (if your county is cleared for in-person activities). Athletes can participate in the Fitness Competition while also participating in other sports.
The Fitness Competition Playbook has all the details of the competition including scoring, divisioning, levels offered, and a breakdown of each exercise. There will be multiple options of participation:
- Unified Pair
- Traditional Pair
There will be three different ability levels. Each level will consist of three exercises. Each exercise has specific instructions and videos on how to perform the exercise and how to score it. All exercises can be done without equipment and in a small space. Each participant will have a pre-season score, mid-season score used to division, and an end-of-season score to award. Raw scores (reps or time) will be converted to a point system. Divisioning and awards will be based on % improvement.
Fitness Competition Schedule
- Medical Deadline: Due June 1
- Pre-season scores: Collect June 7-13 (due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, June 13)
- Mid-season scores: Collect July 5-11 (due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 11)
- End-of-season scores: Collect July 26-August 1 (due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, August 1)
- Virtual Awards Ceremony: Tuesday, August 3 at 6 pm
SOWI-led Virtual Practices
- Once again staff from Special Olympics Wisconsin will be leading virtual Fitness Competition practices via Zoom
- These will be open to anyone with the Zoom information on our events calendar. Participants can sign up here to receive reminder emails.
- Dates/Times: Tuesdays at 7 pm (June 15-July 20)
- Fitness Competition Coaches Training PowerPoint (COMING SOON)
- The Fitness Competition Practice Plan is an optional resource for coaches to use to help with their practices.
- If you have questions about the Fitness Competition, please contact Brittany Hoegh at email@example.com or (608) 442-5683.